What Is Overseas Medical Treatment
What Is Overseas Medical Treatment
Overseas medical treatment, or more familiarly known – medical tourism, is a global and rapidly growing industry. United States is on the forefront of the global movement since majority of the medical tourists in the world are American people looking for more affordable healthcare abroad. Depending on the source, a rough estimate is that around 2 million Americans travel annually for various treatments pretty much all over the world. Destinations include Asian, European, Middle American and South American countries. The industry is fairly new and it is developing fast. The overseas medical treatment is not just consumer’s choice but many insurance institutions are seeking treatment options to their customers, and many businesses to their employees thereof.
Essentially medical treatments abroad vary based on the treatment or surgery, but ideally and individual travels abroad to receive their treatment to get cost savings or other relevant benefits.
For a Patient Looking for Treatment – Some Practical Tips
Choose your facilitator and hospital well
Medical traveler, an individual who is seeking medical attention abroad for various reason should pay attention to various things:
- Keys: Patient should be able to rely on the facilitator.
- Keys: Patient should create a personal contact to reach wanted services and compare the facilitators to others.
- Keys: Medical traveler should be able to rely on medical institutions.
- Keys: Make sure of what is included in the quote and what is missing. Is there any chance for price increase somewhere during the journey?
- Keys: Find out what to do in case you are unhappy with the result or need postoperative medical consultation. Who is going to help you?
Most Western medical institutions provide great quality treatment and there are not so much difference in the operation itself, but the humane experience and treatment planning are extremely important part of the process. Therefore, get to know to your facilitator and the hospital. Ask for proper introduction, materials and history of the hospital. Most large hospitals have their own websites and physician profiles already online. Ask for a full quote and what the quote includes. It might not always be clear that the price of an artificial joint is not included in the hospital fee in advance.
Travel and Personal Medical Condition are important parts of medical traveling
- If you have basic illnesses like diabetes or high blood pressure and haven’t been to the doctor’s appointment regularly it is wise to go for basic physical examination by a local physician before pursuing medical treatment abroad. If there is anything unusual about your current medical condition please let the overseas physician know about it. This is to ensure your own safety.
- Please consider medical treatment overseas primarily as a surgery or medical treatment and not as a regular vacation – although the goal is to make it feel like so. Seek your medical treatment provider based on the level of medicine and facilitator.
- Political stability, low crime rates and clean environment provide good grounds for recovery. Seek a location with safety, security and stress free atmosphere
- All-inclusive service, since there are many factors affecting the travel and surgery, and those should be collectively designed to match the particular treatment. Extra service and aid in organizing the travel increases the quality of the treatment and reduces ambiguity. For more information the CDC website guides consumers more on the medical travel.
We recommend you to seek for the best options and visit for multiple websites to find the medical facilitator for you.